Pages

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Delicious Decimal Fractions



This afternoon we had a tasty maths lesson about decimal fractions. First we talked about how important fractions are to us when we are cooking and working out serving sizes. Then I cut the cake into ten equal pieces. I measured the cake to make sure this was exact, although if we had scaled we could have weighed the pieces to check that they were all even. We discussed the difference between cutting ten slices and cutting ten tenths, as each tenth must be the same size.


We then talked about each slice being one tenth (1/10) or 0.1 of the whole cake. If we had four slices we would have 4/10 or 0.4 of a cake. We also discussed cutting the tenths into ten again to make hundredths (1/100 or 0.01). This reminded us how small hundredths are and that we wouldn't want to eat 0.01 of a small cake like this! After doing some addition and subtraction problems with tenths we all enjoyed our delicious 0.1 slices!

9 comments:

  1. Hi i'am Omar from owairaka.school.nz those fractions look Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, my name is Krisha and I am a student in room 21 at Owairaka School. I really like your Delicious Decimal Fractions. Have you thought of posting a video about making it. .If you would like to see my learning, please visit my blog krishas.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow guys! i love your blog because you are always so active at posting p.s every week on wednesday i visit your blog love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, my name is Hadia and I am a student in room 21 at Owairaka District School. I really like Delicious Decimals fraction. It made me think of the decimals we are learning about it is really fun and those cakes pieces look delicious we are learning . Have you thought about posting a video of making the delicious decimals fractions. If you would like to see my learning, please visit My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my name is Jordana I am a student in room 21 at Owairaka District School. I really like the way how you named your post calling it Delicious Decimal fractions. Your yummy Delicious Decimal fractions look really good.Have you thought about adding some pictures of you guys eating it that will be cool.If you will like to see my learning please visit odsjordanam.blogspot.co.nz keep up the good work.

    Blog you later
    From Jordana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, my name is Alyzae and I am a student in room 21 at Owairaka School. I really like how you have put food in your maths instead of [lane blocks. Have you thought about making a perimeter out of cake. If you would like to see my learning http://odsalyzaeb.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi my name is Ketula from Owairaka school. I love that you put food in your maths its really creative and delicious. Have u thought about giving the cake to me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my name is Aimee and im from Blaketown school. I love the way you used food for maths its very creative. That cake looks delicious do you mind if I have some?
    keep up the awesome work
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  9. kia ora Glenbrae school my name is Adison and I am from grey main school. I think you had a grate idea to use food as maths very creative, I wish I was in your class at that time.
    Miharo!

    ReplyDelete